Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Woman Crush Wednesday - Kim S.



Kim Stephens is a name you might recognize. Most people in the Central Valley wake up to her face on their television every morning. I first met Kim when our boys were in the same Mommy & Me swim class almost eight years ago. Despite her fame, she is so genuine, easy to talk to, and down to earth.

I am NOT a morning person. I don’t think I actually wake up until around 10 a.m. (after I’ve been up for about four hours already). But Kim has such a youthful energy and zest for life, even at the crack of dawn. She is fun-loving, always puts her family first, and is a cheerleader for our community.

Please meet my friend, Kim.
1) Please tell me a little about YOU.

I’m a curious person. The toddler in me still asks the question, “Why?” I’m positive, find humor in many things, and love nature. While I am very proud of all the hard work and sacrifice of my 25+ year career as a TV News Anchor/Reporter, I am truly most proud of my two sons and husband. I love hanging out with those three. They make me laugh, and feel centered. I am also very proud that I was able to earn my Master’s Degree in TV Management at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville – all while I was working full time and planning a wedding across the country. It was challenging but worth it!

2) Please tell me about your work/ministry.

I co-host the 5-10 a.m. Great Day morning show with Kopi Sotiropulos on KMPH FOX 26 and anchor the 11:30 a.m. Midday Newscast. I’ve been getting up at 2:45 a.m. for over 10 years for this job. I’m not sure of many, if any, other people who are live on the air every day for 5 1/2 hours. (Before this, I used to be a nighttime anchor.) I’ve been a TV News Anchor for over 25 years. I started in 1988.

3) Why are you passionate about what you do?

Each day is different. I’m always learning something new, which is why I love this job! But, I must admit a big sense of responsibility in doing this job for others, too. A few years ago, my family and I were walking the survivors lap at a Relay for Life at Clovis High School. My husband is a stage 4 throat cancer survivor. A man came up to us thanking me for helping him through his painful cancer treatment. He said watching Great Day, and hearing my laugh, helped him momentarily forget his pain. That really touched me. He’s one of many people who have shared similar stories of how our show helps them move forward, laugh amidst darkness, and learn to empower themselves.
4) Why is it important to help others?

My parents are giving with their artistic talents. I guess that’s where I got my desire to help others, whether it’s sharing information, volunteering or offering a kind word. I’m a “do unto others” kind of girl.

5) How can readers contribute/participate/come alongside you?

PeacebyKim on Facebook is the best place (https://www.facebook.com/peacebykim).

6) What makes a woman truly beautiful?

Her giving smile. I think when you smile with a pure, joyful heart, you are beautiful.

7) What do you like to do in your free time?

Spend time with my husband and two sons. It’s really my greatest joy. I also love gardening, taking photos, volunteering and getting involved in creative projects around the house. The latest is creating a pergola and patio in our backyard where grass used to be. I laid over 550 bricks and tiles one by one!
8) Since you’re getting on my shoebox, what’s your favorite kind of shoe?

It’s all about comfort and function for me. I love my Cathy Jean wedges and my Roxi flip flops.

*****

OK, I’m getting off my shoebox now.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Silva, for such a nice post! I feel quite honored to call you friend - and birthday buddy! My woman crush is on you today! :) Peace, Kim

    ReplyDelete