Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Rewind. Play. Fast Forward.

I received the latest issue of Parents Magazine in the mail this week.  In it was a list of web sites offering coupons and discounts on everything from grocery stores to restaurants to baby products.  I went to one of the sites and scrolled down a list of restaurants looking for money-saving deals.  Chili's... Dunkin' Donuts... Hard Rock Café.

Screeeeeech.  Stop.

When I was 18 years old, my best friend and I went to Hard Rock Café in downtown Boston every weekend.  I would get a cheeseburger and fries (this was before I completely gave up meat).  We would talk over the loud music, laughing and people-watching and enjoying being out.  We would make fun of the tourists.  We always ordered dessert.

I remember exactly where I’d park my car, and the walk to those golden, guitar-handled doors.  We knew the bouncers and would chat before going in.  I remember so clearly the décor – the hard wood floors, the guitars, Madonna’s bustier from the “Open Your Heart” video, the Beatles memorabilia – even the stairs that led down to the bathrooms.  I remember one of the last times I was there – on a date with a guy named Ariel whom my cousin would tease me about by humming the tune to “The Little Mermaid.”

Time moved forward – graduating college, working, growing up, going to Armenia, falling in love, getting married, moving to Fresno, having babies…

… and getting Parents Magazine in the mail.

OK, I’m getting off my shoebox now.

No comments:

Post a Comment