Tuesday, January 4, 2011

If the Shoe Fits...

I’ve been a bit shoe-obsessed lately, so I thought it wise to explain myself.  I am fully aware that in the grand scheme of things shoes, and my love for shoes, can seem quite frivolous.  Rest assured that this fondness (okay fine, weakness) is in its proper place on my personal priority list.

That said, let’s go way back to junior high school.  I was one of the youngest, smallest, shortest girls in my class.  There was a store at the mall where I used to shop called 5-7-9; they carried sizes as small as 0.  Some of you may be wishing you had that problem, but it really was a problem.  Nothing ever fit me properly.  Everything had to be hemmed, shortened, taken up.  If it was a two-piece outfit, and the top fit, the bottom surely didn’t.  Or if the bottom miraculously fit, the sleeves on the top were too long.

This was not a life-altering or traumatic problem in the least.  It was more of an annoyance.  So much so that it’s one of the main reasons I dislike shopping even to this day.  It’s hard to find clothes that fit my height and shape properly – and tailoring is expensive!

But shoes?  Ah, shoes.

Shoes always fit properly.  Shoes always look good.  I can wear any shoe.  And heels don’t need to be hemmed.

Skinny jeans?  Definitely not for everyone.  The trendier stuff?  Come on, I’m 37.  Baggy clothes are sloppy.  Horizontal stripes?  Not for my top half.  High-waisted pants?  I will lose whatever torso I have.  Miniskirts are for Tina Turner and women younger than 30.

Shoes can take an outfit from casual to glam, from work to play, from beach to café.  They define an outfit. They lengthen legs and increase height.  They make a statement.  And they look good on every woman.

Manolo, Christian, Jimmy… thank you.  And please visit my closet any time.

OK, I’m getting off my shoebox now.  Literally.

2 comments:

  1. LOL...I somehow missed this particular post. My first "real" job in high school (Sophomore year) was working at the 5-7-9 store in Fashion Fair! I got a seasonal job there for work experience during the holiday season. While I loved having a job and earning money doing something other than tutoring, I absolutely HATED retail!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember 5-7-9

    Also this reminds me of a line in the movie "In Her Shoes"
    on shoes: "I get something out of them! When I feel bad I like to treat myself. Clothes never look any good... food just makes me fatter... shoes always fit."

    ReplyDelete