Sunday, March 11, 2012

Blume, Dahl, Juster

I confess.  When both boys are at school, and I have a few hours to myself, I sneak away to Starbucks, grab a bagel and hot chocolate, and read.  It’s such a luxury, this guilty pleasure.  To read without distraction, without interruption.

It used to take me weeks, even months, to get through a magazine, let alone a book.  But lately I’ve made an effort to read more – to make the time.  I carry books around with me and try to get a few pages in while waiting in line at the bank, waiting in the car for the boys, waiting to pick up a prescription.

It’s nice to escape into a book for a while.  To get to know the characters, make new friends for a time, invest in their lives.  (And it’s fun.)

Lately I’m reading lighter books.  I don’t have the mental or physical energy to invest in anything heavy.  I’m currently reading “This Is Where We Live” by Janelle Brown.  I recently read “The Social Climber’s Handbook” by Molly Jong-Fast, “Mennonite in a Little Black Dress” by Rhoda Janzen, and “The Happiness Project” by Gretchen Rubin.

My favorite books in high school were “Lord of the Flies” by William Golding and Shakespeare’s “Macbeth.”

As a child I loved “Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing” by Judy Blume (anything by Blume, really), “James and the Giant Peach” by Roald Dahl, and “The Phantom Tollbooth” by Norton Juster.

“Night” by Elie Wiesel affected me profoundly.  As do the writings of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and C.S. Lewis.

I may have to revisit some of these titles.  Because there’s always a wait waiting to be filled!

OK, I’m getting off my shoebox now.

No comments:

Post a Comment