Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Sweetest Gift Redux

After my last post about not remembering any childhood Christmas presents, I was bewildered.  How could I not remember even one gift?  Could my memory be that weak?

So I thought long and hard.  I thought and thought.  I tried to replay all the Christmases of the first decade or so of my life in my mind, attempting to envision my surprised face when opening gifts and following my eyes to what that gift might be.

And suddenly it hit me:  Madame Alexander!

Madame Beatrice Alexander founded the Alexander Doll Company in 1923 and was the first to create dolls based on licensed characters, as well as dolls with “sleepy” eyes (eyes that open and close).  Madame Alexander dolls are coveted by children and collectors alike to this day.

And one long ago Christmas in New Jersey, a young Silva received a Madame Alexander doll from her mother.

The doll’s name was Elise, and she was a ballerina.  About 18 inches long, she had dark hair pulled back in a bun.  She had dark brown eyes and the perfect pink lips.  She wore a pink tutu, tights, and ballet slippers.  She was exquisite!

I immediately knew she was extraordinary.  Although I was never really into dolls or Barbies, Elise was special.  She sat on my dresser for many years.  (I still have her somewhere in the house.)

Her beauty and value made me feel that I was beautiful and valuable to my mother.  My mom always made me feel that way anyway – every day of my life.  But that she would entrust me with something so clearly expensive and important made me feel extra special.

I guess it still isn’t about the actual gift now, is it?

OK, I’m getting off my shoebox now.

1 comment: