Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Summer Lovin'



We were at my beloved Target last week purchasing several things in addition to the one item I actually went there to buy, as is always the case with Target purchases.  As our young female cashier rang us up, she bent over to put our items in a bag.  I got a full view of her entire front side, clear down to her belly button.

Forget, for a moment, that I don’t want my husband and boys seeing that – *I* don’t want to see that!  And as summer approaches and the weather warms up, I thought I’d share a few tips to keep you looking cool, collected and classy despite the heat.

1)      Unless you’re Madonna circa 1985, I don’t want to see your underwear as outerwear.  Please invest in properly fitting bras and panties and make sure they are not visible once you’re dressed.  That means that bra straps should not show!  If you’re wearing something strapless or with spaghetti straps, wear a strapless bra.  If you’re wearing a top or tank with a racer back, wear a racer back bra.  I know from being married that when a man sees a bra, he immediately thinks of what’s IN that bra.  So keep those straps under your clothes or pull on a cute cardigan or light jacket to cover up.

2)      When I think of bare midriffs, I think of the jocks in my high school who wore those wide gym pants and cropped tops.  Not a pretty picture!  I’m not a fan of revealing your belly button, no matter how toned you are or how pretty that new belly button ring might be.  If you were to raise your arms, you would reveal too much of your lady parts, and if you bend over, your backside and the top of your panties would show.  The line between classy and trashy can be a fine one.  Steer clear of this hazard.

3)      Maxi skirts are a really pretty option for staying cool and looking stylish in spring and summer.  But something I learned the hard way is that maxi skirts can often be sheer in the sun!  Although you may be covered down to your toes with fabric, once outside the sun may silhouette your legs.  Invest in an above-the-knee length slip to be safe – they’re lightweight and will save you from any see-through surprises.

4)      I loved watching the Dukes of Hazard when I was growing up.  Daisy Duke was the only featured female character and she was so cool because she could hold her own against her cousins Bo and Luke Duke.  Daisy was known for her short shorts (which also makes me think of the Nair commercials – “Who wears short shorts?  We wear short shorts!”).  Okay, I think you know where I’m going with this.  Shorts are cute and fun and a summer necessity.  But let’s not get ridiculous.  Stand up (yes, now).  Put your arms down by your sides.  Wherever your longest finger lands is the shortest your shorts should be.  Thank you.

5)      I’m noticing a LOT of sheer/illusion tops and peek-a-boo cutouts in stores this spring, and I’m curious how anyone is supposed to wear a bra with these tops.  The best way to wear these otherwise cute tops is with camisoles or tanks underneath.  I promise it won’t look any less cute and the attention will stay positive.

6)      A word to the guys reading this:  you’re not completely off the hook.  Keep your eyes up and look deeper than what’s on the surface.  And challenge yourselves to go beyond the t-shirts and shorts you’ve worn since you were 12.  Maybe invest in something other than sneakers or flip flops?  Give it a try.

OK, I’m getting off my shoebox now.

No comments:

Post a Comment