Monday, January 14, 2013

Rrring



I was sitting at Starbucks a few days ago, working on an assignment, when I heard a cell phone ring.  It belonged to the college-aged girl sitting behind me.  I braced myself for a conversation of, “Oh my gosh, really?  Like, I can’t believe it!”  Instead, she said, “Hi Mom!”

I froze.  Two simple words – Hi Mom.  A phone call I would never get.

*****

Hi Mom, how are you?  We’re all fine, thanks.  Yes, Jayson’s working.  His business is going well, thankfully.  He’ll be going to LA this week, but just for one night.  Don’t worry, I’ll be fine.  I know, if you were here I’d love to have you stay over.  That’s okay – the boys are always good for me.  Silas is fine!  We’re getting ready for his allergy shots.  No, he’s not looking forward to them, but he needs them.  James is fine, too.  Yes, he still loves school.  They miss you so much.  I do, too.  Okay, we’ll talk again soon.  Love you.

*****
 
OK, I’m getting off my shoebox now.

1 comment: