Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Broken Sentences

I speak in.
Broken sentences.
It’s the.
Only way I.
Can seem to have a.
Conversation these.
Days.

Annoying, isn’t it?  I was at a birthday party for my friend’s daughter last weekend.  She did an absolutely gorgeous job with the decorations, food and favors.  The kids had a blast and I got to see a couple of good friends.  But our conversations were severely lacking.

We kept starting conversations, and then would get cut off when one child or another would start crying, need help with something, or ask a question.  Then we’d forget what we were talking about.  We’d start over, only to get interrupted again.  And again.  And again.  It was dizzying.

After a while I just stopped.  Why bother trying?  It’s futile to attempt to chat with little people around.  It does get easier as they get older, but they’re still very needy.  And that’s okay, because my kids are my priority and my conversations with big people can wait.

So these broken conversations are just another way of developing patience.  And patience will help me wait until next week when the mommies are meeting for coffee after the kids are asleep.  And then we can have all the uninterrupted discussion we want.

OK, I’m getting off my shoebox now.

No comments:

Post a Comment