Monday, November 8, 2010

On Needles and Scraping Tools

I’m weird.  Before you jump to any disturbing conclusions, I say that because I genuinely enjoy visits to the doctor and dentist.  Perhaps it’s because I’ve never had any horrid experiences with either one.  Or that needles and scraping tools don’t really bother me.

We had a very successful family visit to the dentist this afternoon.  Silas lay beautifully still while getting his teeth scraped and cleaned, and he even rinsed with fluoride – all without gagging or puking (like last time).  James even opened his mouth and let our dentist peek at his teeth.  Then, mercifully, the boys colored quietly while I got my teeth cleaned.  Even with the scraping, their conversation with each other was music to my ears.

I appreciate the access we have to healthcare in this country.  I will avoid any political slants here.  I really am grateful to be able to go to the doctor and dentist (even if it is costly).  I remember the extensive dental work that both of my parents needed as adults because dental health was not even a consideration when they grew up in the old country.

Am I going to whine about getting a shot, a filling, a Pap smear or a mammogram?  Absolutely not.  The momentary discomfort is worth the potential benefit of proactive and preventative care.

Please don’t skip out on caring for your body.  Don’t wait until it’s too late.

OK, I’m getting off my shoebox now.

No comments:

Post a Comment