Sunday, October 10, 2010

It's About Time

Most people identify who they are with what they do.  For mothers, this is especially true, as mommyhood can be an all-consuming job.  I thought recently about the things that I am:

        Wife
        Mother
        Daughter
        Sister
        Friend
        Daughter of God
        Fashion-lover
        Vegetarian
        Grammar police
        Manner-enforcer
        Encourager
        Etiquette advocate
        Writer
        Copy Editor

This last one was a long time in the making.

As a kid, I never knew what I wanted to be when I grew up.  My sister always wanted to be a lawyer, from as young as nine years old (and she is one now).  In sixth grade my father wanted me to be a pharmacist.  I once said I wanted to be famous.  But for what?

I knew the areas I had no interest in pursuing:  medicine, law and business.  I was not good at science.  History bored me.  I liked math and languages, but how do you choose a career based on a love of calculus and French?  Even at Boston College, I waited until the last possible moment to declare my major (Communications).  I had a dream of being an entertainment broadcaster.  However, working to pay my way through college did not allow me the opportunity to take unpaid internships at various media outlets, which was the only way to get your foot in the door.  I guess I wasn’t passionate enough about it to really pursue it, or I would have found a way.

During my senior year in college I took a job as office manager at a weekly newspaper.  That led to writing and, sometimes, editing for them.  I realized that I really enjoyed writing – especially about faith, music, fashion and family.  OK, so I was narrowing in on my “future.”  I continued to write (freelance) while working my day jobs, and built a portfolio.

And then I got married and my beautiful boys came along, shifting my focus just a bit.  I love being a mommy – it’s easily the most challenging yet heart-filling job I’ve ever held.  But time becomes an issue, and when combing your hair each day is an achievement, it leaves little time for writing or anything else of a secondary or tertiary nature.

What I discovered, however, was that copy editing (or proofreading) was a much less time-consuming task for me.  I am able to do it after the boys go to sleep, and it gives me much-needed mental stimulation.  Playing Chutes & Ladders and making mac & cheese can only take you so far intellectually.  I realized, quite recently, that this was my “AHA” moment.

And so, at the age of almost-37, I have finally decided what I want to be when I grow up – a copy editor.  Four years of college (at a grand total of $70,000 + books), many electives (that wasted a chance at a double major), and 15 years later, I know what I want to do with my life – aside from mommyhood, of course.

For those of you in college (or out of college) who still don’t know what you’re doing with your lives, please don’t despair.  But don’t just sit around, either.  Get a job, stay busy, pursue your interests, and pray for God’s direction.

It’ll come to you eventually.  It did for me.

OK, I’m getting off my shoebox now.

6 comments:

  1. silva.. you are a vegetarian? how do i not know this about you?! I AM TOO! except for traditional armenian dishes, but really how often does that happen? I'm glad you are blogging ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathleen! I stopped eating meat about 16 years ago - no beef, pork or chicken. I do eat dairy, eggs and fish (no shellfish). The only thing I accept is chicken broth when making pilav - it's just not the same otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to more here Silva! Happy to see a fellow member of the grammar police. Did you read "Eats, Shoots & Leaves"? Plus there's some new story about some guys who drove around the country fixing grammar/spelling mistakes on public signs...anyway you forgot 'cousin' on the list but i'll just have to assume that goes under 'friend'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Nance! I did read about those traveling typo-correcting guys, and I even tried looking them up to see how I could join! That's my type of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great first entry!

    I know tons of people our age who feel like they are lacking direction, especially when they have started families.

    Going to add you to my blogroll, so that I will remember to visit again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Karen! I thought I was the only one our age lacking direction!

    ReplyDelete